Friday, November 21, 2008

"Japalonica"

I hiked Suzugamine mountain again today and when I reached the top, I meditated on 1 Thessalonians chapter 2. The Lord allowed me to see some distant parallels regarding my experience of part-time ministry in Japan, and the situation with Paul in Thessalonica. These are the key points:
  1. Paul and the others had suffered in Philippi, but yet they were still able to speak boldly to the Thessalonians. (Thes. 2:2) I had a few struggles (nothing like Paul of course) in getting here to Japan, but yet I was boldly empowered by Him to do the task set before me.
  2. They spoke simply, they were gentle, hard working, considerate, in their service to the people. (Thes. 2:4-9) I am learning that speaking simply, being gentle, working hard, being considerate are essential in doing His work.
  3. They exhorted and encouraged the people to walk worthy in the Lord. (Thes. 2:11) Exhorting and encouraging are also essential in doing His work.
  4. The Thessalonians were persecuted by their own countrymen. (Thes. 2:14) Many Japanese believers have been persecuted by their families, friends, co-workers, etc.
  5. Paul and the others were hindered by Satan when they tried to return and continue to bless them. (Thes. 2:18) Satan is continuously hindering the Good work going on here as we believers try to bless one another.
  6. Paul and the rest were encouraged at the work of the Lord in the Thessalonians. (Thes. 2:19-20) It is such a great encouragement to see the work of the Lord in the Japanese people, as they have become saved and been transformed by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments: